This short film shows how I restore Metal Triang Windows, and get them ready to be painted:
- Remove the windows from the dollshouse, by gently lifting the tabs on the edge of the frame.
- Remove the window inserts from the frame, by carefully bending up the little tab on the insert which fits it to the frame, using a pair of pliers. Do this just enough to all the little tab on the window frame to be released. Only one tab on each insert needs to be bent.
- If you window inserts have curtains, gently remove them, I use an old kitchen knife with a broken end to ease up the lip of the insert. Take care not to damage the material. I have found the best way to do this is by removing the plastic first, giving more room for the curtains to slip out without too much force. They are not glued in, just held in place with the lip on the insert.
- Next ease up the lip so that there is room to get into to remove any rust or dirt.
- On the inside of the window insert, using a dremel drill with a small rough grinding bit on it start to clean up the insert, removing any old paint, dirt and rust.
- Turn the window insert over, using a cotton wool bud dip into paint stripper and remove the paint, wipe off using kitchen roll. Remove and rust or dirt as described above.